« Home | "Thou shalt not use thy knowledge of statistics to... » | Finally, Arbusto is intimidating » | The Borders Zone » | The embodiment of stereotypes » | The best insult ever » | My new favorite sign » | Love and pestilence » | "I know how they think!" » | How to properly medicate a cat » | Memo at Jimmy John's: "Do not deliver sandwiches t... » 

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 

My dad is a bastard.

While watching the basketball game last night, IrishTenor, his new roommate TheViolinist, and I were wondering about the origin and significance of the day during Holy Week designated as "Maundy Thursday." Because at heart all of us are nerds and because we were drinking, this was a matter of great importance.

TheViolinist and I both felt that as the offspring of men of the cloth, we should know this. IrishTenor's friend and co-worker, TheBanker, did not see the connection.

TheViolinist: "We're PKs. Our dads are pastors."

TheBanker (pauses, blinks, and stares): "Did you just say your dads are bastards?"

Ah, PKs. That explains oh so much. Funny thing - my dad was both.

I don't think it's Lutheran-specific.

I settled the question that night by calling my dad and asking him what it meant. He told me that the term "Maundy Thursday" originated from the Latin mandatum, which is the command Jesus gave to his disciples at the Last Supper (Thursday night): "Love one another as I have loved you."

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
oval area rugs video card reviews sofa make easy money online merchant account provider prescription pill

Post a Comment