« Home | A united front » | The birds and the bees...Violinist-style. » | What's that tag line about "inappropriate remarks,... » | Arbusto demonstrates respect for academia » | Chicken run » | The Uptown mouse killer » | Musky Ass » | I'm a grad student. I read good. » | Feline gender identity crisis » | Call me Lumbergh. » 

Monday, April 09, 2007 

Wanted: Coffee shop to use as a study space. Must have normal clientele.

Once upon a time, Arbusto introduced me to a certain coffee shop in St. Paul. Over time, it has degenerated from a laidback, pleasant place to study into an indie Twilight Zone. On a mild night, there might simply be a group of noisy and idealistic undergraduates. One night, while sitting in the back room, I kept hearing a strange noise coming from the front part of the coffee shop; it sounded like an unintentional Wookie imitation.

However, the strangest group by far to frequent this coffee shop is the gaggle of women who gather to knit, talk about dismembered pets, and randomly sing "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt."

Tonight, as I sit here trying to enjoy a cup of coffee and a chicken sandwich and focus on my stats project, the knitting group has convened at the next table and is talking loudly amongst themselves. Topics covered tonight have been LiveJournal, how none of them want kids (thank God, we've dodged a bullet), and how one of the women knows someone who BREASTFED A LITTER OF PUPPIES.

I decided I might need to leave and never return.

A friend pointed out that a human breastfeeding puppies is farfetched at best and is probably a physical impossibility.

However:
  1. Apparently someone tried this.
  2. These people associate with that person.
  3. These people are in the same room as me.
  4. I have now had the unfortunate image of a woman breastfeeding poodles seared into my brain.

I might need to leave and never return.

Dude, I've missed your blog. Now I remember why I used to read it all the time. Run! Run away! Seriously, it makes me want to come study with you again...

I loved Cafettos back in the late 90s when I lived in Mpls. It's on snelling and grand maybe. St Paul streets make me confused. I wonder if that is where you are talking about.

Post a Comment