« Home | The least fun I have ever had. » | Wonton soup » 

Friday, March 04, 2005 

"May I please see proof of US residence?"

A few Fridays ago, my academic advisor (also my boss), TheAdvisor, asked me to stay a little later at the office. He said he needed to leave, but a student was coming to drop something off and someone needed to let the guy in and then lock up. I readily agreed, since I live within easy walking distance of my place of employment.

Promptly at the appointed hour, a knock sounded at the door. I opened it to find a small, craggy looking man who must have been in his mid-fifties and a card-carrying member of Dirty Old Men of America. He entered the office suite and left a huge stack of papers on TheAdvisor's desk.

Since he had now made his delivery and I wanted to go home, I thought it best to hint that it was time for me to lock up. I smiled and told him, "Have a nice weekend!"

He turned to me, looked me up and down, and then said, "You had to have been raised in the States, because you speak really good English!"

I think that's the most racist thing anyone has ever said to me. After I finally got rid of the creepy little guy, I couldn't stop laughing.

Isn't this the second time you've posted this story?

Nope! I just told it to you before.

Post a Comment

About me

  • SouthernCanadian
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Here is the epic life of a silly, goofy girl who loves research and other nerdy pursuits. I'm in grad school learning about standardized tests, which makes me the natural enemy of classroom teachers everywhere. May God have mercy on my soul.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates